Wednesday, April 8, 2009

poems especially for children

When asked who is favorite poet was, my son Tobin said "Jack Prelutsky." Prelutsky poems are pretty funny and usually come with hilarious illustrations to back them up. The younger we are when we start to enjoy poetry, the more natural it feels -- and it is pretty easy to move past "Hickory Dickory Dock" just by going to the library. The poetry is early in the 800's, dewey-decimal-wise.

Here is today's poem:
I Chased a Dragon Through the Woods, by Jack Prelutsky

I chased a dragon through the woods,
haranguing him all day.
"I'll catch you soon!" I taunted.
"You can never get away.
There's no escaping me, my friend,"
I confidently cried.
"You might as well stop running,
there is nowhere you can hide."

"I think that I will simply lop
your head off with my sword."
The dragon stopped and whirled about
and ominously roared.

"You'd better think again," he boomed,
and glared into my eyes.
"In case you hadn't noticed,
I'm a dozen times your size.
It's evident that I'd prevail
if ever we should fight,
I'm quite accomplished with my claws,
and furthermore, I bite!"

I thought about the dragons words,
and I couldn't disagree-
I chased a dragon through the woods,
and now he's chasing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment