Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Submission from Mom

Yesterday I received a submission of some poems by my mom. They were by her "favorite poet." (Aw shucks) A fan base of one is not such a bad start, I guess. The poem was originally written in the form of a spiral and is adapted into stanzas here. Perhaps it will be interesting to note (for those who cultivate an interest in amateur poetry) that my mother and I both broke the poem up into lines and stanzas in different ways. I hope at some point that pomme frites will be able to publish other previously unpublished works by some of its readers.

Family Rhapsody 1

Today I wore that one red shoe
The one that squeaked so loudly
when we walked together
With the dog’s claws clicking softly
And the warm and gentle wind
made wheels of fire from the tall trees.

In the velvet dark space between
them, an owl watched.
He spoke in a whisper
only I could hear,
“Can one who is lost find
a way home again?”

Promise you will watch for me.
I clutch the key to the secret garden.
Let us go together we three
And open the door
that has been shut for so long
Where Strix and the robin dance,
Where birds make their nests
in the moss on the ground,
And flowers grow
from where long ago
bones dissolved away

Where moments turn to memories
like carbon turns to diamonds
Where we can feel the sun on our skin.
Let’s go home again.
We three. Together.

October 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment